The League is an equal opportunity employer, committed to building and retaining a diverse and inclusive staff and workplace.
PART-TIME COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATE
Are you an excellent communicator and looking to make a difference in Michigan? The Michigan League for Public Policy is seeking a part-time communications associate, working 20 hours per week. The associate will support the League’s communications efforts to improve public policy and assist children and families who are economically vulnerable. While this position is part time, there may be potential for growth. The Michigan League for Public Policy is a statewide advocacy organization that works to promote economic security and well-being for all people in Michigan through the policymaking process using a race equity lens.
The communications associate will be expected to assist the communications director and other staff in developing and executing communications strategies that enable the organization to achieve its goals. Responsibilities include: writing and editing communications materials, including press releases, columns, blogs, emails and social media posts; media relations—both fielding inquiries and pitching stories; assisting with social media management, including offering new ideas and improvements; and media tracking and reporting.
Qualifications—while no candidate will have every desirable quality, the ideal candidate would have:
- Bachelor’s degree or nearing completion in communications or related field.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including strong grammar, sharp attention to detail and accuracy, and the ability to communicate complex issues to broad audiences.
- Strong social/digital media skills, including understanding analytics and ways to improve outreach.
- Familiarity with and passion for issues related to children, education, health, workforce development, poverty, budget and tax policy, racial and ethnic disparities and more; familiarity with Michigan politics is preferred.
- Ability to think creatively and generate fresh ideas.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to self-motivate and work independently, but also able to collaborate and work as part of a team and with diverse partners.
- Strong belief in diversity and inclusion and a passion for economic and social justice.
The League is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and retaining a diverse and inclusive staff and workplace. Please visit our website www.mlpp.org for more information on our work.
The position is part time (20 hours a week), grant funded and based in Lansing, MI. Salary range is $20,000-$30,000 based on experience.
To apply, please send salary requirements, cover letter, resume and two writing samples to Communications Director Alex Rossman at email@example.com with “Communications Associate” in the subject line by March 31st.